Ok I think it’s time for me to document what happened on October 12 and the days after. I can hardly believe it’s almost been a month. Time just continues ticking along even though I feel quite stuck.
October 12 was a fun Saturday. Finn graduated to the next belt in karate and we had a little family party at the house. Afterwards, I was working on getting the kids in their room for rest time and Greg was cleaning up outside. As I was fighting with Finn to get him upstairs I caught a glimpse of flames outside the window. I ran over and told Greg – “there’s a fire outside!” He immediately said “call 911 and get the kids out!” Finn was screaming as the flames were scary. Especially when we heard the window cracking in before we ran out. The only thing I had time to grab was the kids and my phone. No shoes, no other items…
The next several minutes lasted an eternity. As I waited 10 minutes for the Fire dept to get there I watched my precious house go up in flames. Minutes. It was minutes. When the fire dept got there a caring neighbor ushered me and the kids away. It wasn’t healthy for anyone to watch that.
I sat in shock waiting to hear whats happening. I don’t think I’ll ever get the smell out of my nose. 2 hrs later we take the kids to my parents house. Still in shock.
Greg and I then spend the next several days salvaging whatever we can from the house.
In those days the house soured inside and the smell was awful. We were able to salvage about 4 bins worth of stuff. I’m grateful we were able to salvage anything. Those items that we did get out our treasures now for sure!
I’ve gotten a lot of questions about how the fire happened. It’s not something I want to keep talking about. So I will tell you here. It was caused by an ash from a fire pit we had. And yes the fire started outside.
Anyway – God was there through it all. And I’ll explain that on the next post. That’s all for now.